Saturday 25 February 2017

BEING HELEN HIRD ILLUSTRATIONS





 
 
If you have been reading my blog for a while or follow my social media, you'll know that other than blogging I'm also a fashion illustrator. I always like to share what I'm up to on my blog and not just what I've been wearing. Not only because the two kind of go hand in hand, but because it's a massive part of my life. It's my baby if you will (second to my dog obvs). It's something that I work on completely on my own, every decision made is down to me and every paint brush stroke has come from an idea in my head that I put on paper with my own hands. I'm a one woman band. So what better people to share my passion with than my readers.
 
I have a couple of really exciting projects coming up in the next few months, the first of which is launching my new series of prints. These are the first three that went live in my shop on Thursday. A lot of hard work, time and love has gone into each and every one of them, so it's super rewarding to be able to wrap them up and post them off to all my lovely customers. It's even better when people tag me in photos of their prints up in their offices or homes. It brings a smile to my face a bit of warmth to my heart.
 I'm sure any of you who are self employed, or full time bloggers will know that when you work on your own you have to put in twice as many hours and really have the drive to do well, but it is 100x more rewarding when it's something you've accomplished all by yourself. You have to make a lot of sacrifices. On the days where I'm not working in the shop I'm all most always painting, replying to emails or updating my website. I very very rarely give myself a day off... which sometimes is hard for friends to understand. You have to be super strict with yourself, and if you have set yourself work do then get it done and tick each line off your 'to do' list. You can't just drop it and decide you'll go swanning off for coffee or shopping with one of your pals. If I let myself do this and cut myself an inch of slack, then I wouldn't have a business to run. You have to be so determined and sacrifice a lot of time. The hardest if when its a hot summers 30 degrees day and I'm inside painting with Jeremy Kyle on the tv. I literally am the biggest sun worshipping tan lover in the world, so those days are the most tempting for me. Don't get me wrong, you have to give yourself days off sometimes, or else you'd go stir crazy. Everyone needs down time do be able to work effectively, you just have to be really disciplined about how often you give yourself days off and when you do, make the most of it.
Saying all this, I don't want it to sound like a chore that I don't love doing. I do, of course, love my job. It's just really important to me to try and inspire other people to get their heads down and do what they want to do. Really, with hard work anything is possible. If you want to be a freelance make up artist, go out and do it. If you want to be a full time blogger put the mother chuffing time, money and effort in and do it. The old saying "the world is your oyster" really is true. I urge you, that is there's something you want to do or keep thinking about doing, you can do it... if you really really want to.
 
Go and pick up that pen and note pad, get yours ideas down and start the journey.
 
x 
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. "The old saying "the world is your oyster" really is true. I urge you, that is there's something you want to do or keep thinking about doing, you can do it... if you really really want to."

    First of all, many compliments on your new prints. They look stunning - I'm especially in love with the Chanel and Marc Jacobs perfumes one, it's divine.
    Regarding the second part of the post, I couldn't agree more. It's hard sometimes for people to understand that, in order to be successful and, personally, to feel good about my work, you have to put every inch of your ability and time in it. Prioritizing what's important is the first step to being happy with ourselves.

    Thank you for this really inspiring post and congrats again on the gorgeous prints!

    Agnese
    Agnese's Coiffeuse

    ReplyDelete

© ...By Helen. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig